I’m pleased to announce Teradata IntelliCloud™, our next generation managed cloud offering that provides data and analytic software as a service (SaaS).
IntelliCloud is a new packaged service that builds on what was available with Teradata Managed Cloud and expands customers’ hybrid cloud options. The result is more choice, greater dexterity, and the ability for customers to increase their focus on extracting and applying analytic insights rather than on managing infrastructure.
Specifically, IntelliCloud offers expanded deployment choice including:
- Teradata IntelliFlex – our flagship enterprise data warehouse platform which we will deploy and manage in our own data centers
- Global public cloud infrastructure from Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Future: global public cloud infrastructure from Microsoft Azure
- Further in the future: on-premises customer data center deployment
- By leveraging the same software, training, tools and ecosystem applications in which Teradata customers have already invested for their on-premises systems, IntelliCloud ensures 100% software consistency. We expect customer will be able to increase business agility and boost focus on data-driven analytic insights that have meaningful business outcomes.
IntelliCloud services are designed to be simple and complete; initial capabilities include:
- Choice of Teradata Database, Teradata Aster® Analytics, or Hadoop® software from Cloudera or Hortonworks;
- Bundled infrastructure services including platform deployment and management, onboarding assistance, backup and restore, system monitoring, upgrades and maintenance, enterprise-class security, and premier cloud support;
- Available analytic ecosystem applications including Teradata QueryGrid™ and Teradata AppCenter.
Customers will control their IntelliCloud accounts with an easy-to-use, web-based management console for monitoring system utilization, scheduling back-ups, setting or modifying security parameters, spinning up additional cloud resources, and more.
IntelliCloud is provided on a subscription basis with monthly, annual, and 3-year options that enable customers to focus on analytic insight and not worry about setting up or running the underlying infrastructure.
Why does all of this matter? Let’s be very clear: Demand for enterprise cloud services is growing exponentially. A recent Teradata survey indicates that by 2020, 90% of our customers expect to have a hybrid cloud environment – and more than 85% expect to buy data warehousing ‘as a service.’
Teradata is the only company to address these needs with simple, packaged solutions that combine leading data and analytic software as a service with unprecedented deployment choice and flexibility. Ultimately, IntelliCloud frees our customers to focus on how analytic insight can move the needle for their company.
Additionally, according to Gartner, “More and more clients are demanding that service offerings support hybrid scenarios that incorporate traditional technologies as well as new cloud technologies, and ultimately establish a hybrid IT environment.”
IntelliCloud was designed to support this type of modern hybrid approach with comprehensive subscription services aligned to customer priorities.
Indeed, IntelliCloud supports the same enterprise use cases and workloads that are available with Teradata on-premises systems, though with the advantages of subscription pricing in a software-as-a-service model. Common use cases for companies running their analytic ecosystem entirely in IntelliCloud are:
- Test and development
- Quality assurance
Hybrid cloud use cases for IntelliCloud customers also employing a Teradata on-premises system include:
- Cloud disaster recovery
- Cloud bursting
- Cloud data marts and data labs
Lastly, when talking about the cloud one typically ends up talking about security, too. Good news: we’ve invested in rigorous third party audits of our managed cloud offerings in order to demonstrate compliance with security regulations and industry best practices such as ISO 27001 and SOC 2 and most recently PCI and HIPAA. Details about IntelliCloud security and our most recent compliance audits are available here
I’m very proud of what our team has been able to accomplish, and IntelliCloud raises the bar once again. Please take a look
and let us know what you think.